Having made his debut for the senior facet means again in 2013, Mandeep is essentially the most skilled striker within the Indian crew.
“I don’t think there’s any added pressure on me because I have good support from the rest of the players. We have good on-field communication and on a good day, we can breach the toughest defence,” mentioned the 26-year-old ahead from Jalandhar.
Singh has already performed over 150 worldwide matches for the nation however is making his Olympic debut now. The nippy ahead, who is thought for his fast reflexes and positioning in entrance of the aim, mentioned having lived inside a bio-bubble on the SAI centre in Bengaluru for the final one-and-half-years resulting from COVID 19, India are a lot better-placed than every other hockey taking part in nations within the Olympics.
“We are very used to the COVID protocols. Here, we get tested every morning, it is a very simple process and the results come out by evening,” Mandeep mentioned.
“It has been great so far. Although it took us some time at the airport due to testing and other procedures, ever since we checked into the Games Village, it has been incredible. Everything is well-organised and everyone is very careful about all the protocols.
“The meals is superb and there are some Indian dishes being served on a regular basis too. The assist workers can be guaranteeing we’re in good condition bodily and mentally forward of our first sport.”
India will play New Zealand in their opener on Saturday and Mandeep said they are geared up for the job ahead. “…we at the moment are allowed to work together with different groups. Today was the primary day we additionally obtained to play on the principle competitors pitch and little question, it’s a incredible stadium. We are wanting to play our first match in opposition to New Zealand,” he said.
Ranked fourth in the world, India would be looking to break their over four-decade-long Olympics medal drought. Their last of the eight gold medals came way back in the 1980 Moscow Games.
- Tokyo 2020: MOWA Olympic Athletics Collection room declared open
- Tokyo 2020: Depressed and wanted to quit swimming – Maana Patel recalls struggle with injury
- Tokyo 2020: Neeraj Chopra is good but tough for him to beat me, says Johannes Vetter
- Tokyo 2020: Manu Bhaker and I have put in place a plan, says coach Ronak Pandit ahead of Olympics
- Tokyo Olympics: Softball report: USA, Japan, Australia score contrasting wins
- India at Tokyo Olympics: 30 Indian athletes to participate in opening ceremony, march in as 21st country
- India at Tokyo Olympics: A nation of 1.3 billion embark on a journey of golden hope
- Tokyo Olympics: India schedule Day 1: Archers Deepika Kumari, Atanu Das in action; where to watch, time in IST
- Tokyo Olympics: Medal chance analysis & predictions: India shooters can win 5 gold, eye historic haul
- Tokyo 2020, Men’s and Women’s Football: Teams, Groups, Schedule, Venues and Telecast info
- Tokyo Olympics: Explained: The rules and mechanics of surfing in the Games
- Tokyo 2020: Golden Slam not really easy for Djokovic as tennis on the Games has a historical past of shocks
Get breaking news alerts.
You have already subscribed